Friday, January 20, 2012

Is it "goodbye world wide web" for me and for the rest of the world?

I've been spending so much time on 9gag that it has taken over my whole life. Seriously. And I learned about SOPA and PIPA from that certain website.

According to the ever-trustworthy Wikipedia, "The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) is a U.S. House bill to fight online trafficking in copyrighted intellectual property and counterfeit goods. Proposals include barring advertising networks and payment facilities from conducting business with allegedly infringing websites, barring search engines from linking to the sites, and requiring Internet service providers (ISP) to block access to the sites. The bill would criminalize the streaming of such content, with a maximum penalty of five years in prison."  The said bill was passed by a certain Lamar Smith who's being badly bashed all over the world wide web.

No American-based sites mean no free knowledge. Why? I'm pretty sure everybody relies on the web for things -- exempli grata is myself. I learnt how to speak English fluently via the web. I go on the internet to look for word meanings and use it for my blog entries. So if ever SOPA will be passed unto the house, my world will definitely come into a crumbling crash. No more extreme venting, no more assignments made easy, no more extra infos shared by the web, , no more easy connection to people abroad, no more everything! Everything I used to have an awesome essay which landed me to my first win won't be there again for my second, third, and more wins to come. Sigh. 

This too shall pass, except SOPA, and everything will be better... if we still have the internet. HAHAHAHA, Lamar Smith, I'm sure you won't have the balls to go out of your house 'cause you know, we'll win this and you'll come to our knees saying sorry. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment